Mere Christianity

Mm, to have finished a book. It just feels so good.

The one that I finished most recently (I won't say read - because I'm reading several) was Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. I had heard, from several sources, that this was a great book. Furthermore, I love him and his writing, being very familiar with his fiction (Out of the Silent Planet and its sequels are wonderful adult fiction, and The Chronicles of Narnia were childhood favourites). Anyways, having so much free time and loving nothing better than to occupy this time with books, I finally got around to picking it up.



Let me tell you, it was wonderful. Words can't express how enjoyable (though at times confusing) reading it was. It gives a sound argument for Christianity, practical advice on Christian living, and brings great theology down to a level where the rest of us mere mortals can understand it. My faith was stretched, challenged; I was humbled and filled with thankfulness for this Life I have been given. For any Christian, however new or old, weak or strong, it is a must read.

I will say that, as an 18-year-old, I still found some of the concepts hard to wrap my mind around. Paragraphs were reread several times, and I had to pause at points and work out in my brain the argument that had just been made. I'm not condemning this, you must see - as a matter of fact it's a wonderful tool for exercising the brain - rather, it's just to say that for anyone much younger, it will probably be a bit over their head. (Note: I'm not one to debate whether material should be left until the individual has grown into it to be exposed, or whether the individual should be made to grow by being exposed to the material. That's for yourself to decide.)

There is one point Mr Lewis makes that I do disagree with him on, and that is regarding evolution. He makes several references to evolution (one of them quite extended) in which he communicates that he believes in the theory. In some ways, this is excusable - back then people did not have the evidence we do now that can prove evolution false, and so had to rely completely on what the scientists told them was fact.

Digression concluded, it's an amazing book that anyone earnestly trying to follow the Christian faith should read. Concurrently, it's a great tool for growing the faith of anyone struggling, or unpacking Christianity for a sceptic. (Lewis himself used to be an atheist.) It is backed by my wholehearted admiration and recommendation.

Creatures are not born with desires unless satisfaction for those desires exists. ...If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.

Comments

Popular Posts