A Child's Dream...

When I was little, I always wanted to have a sprained ankle or broken leg. Why, you may ask? Because of all the privileges that naturally come with disabled state such as that. Your family and friends must do your very bidding, you get to stay off school (which wasn't actually an issue for me then due to homeschooling), you get general sympathy and you don't have to do any work.

Reality is quite different from that idealistic 6-year-old dream.

Today, after church, I was walking down the steps of the Omni. (We meet in a cinema.) Suddenly, I missed a step, and before I knew it I was on the floor. They do an evaluation, and determine that I have twisted my ankle.

Oh goody.

So now, looking back on all the things that I wished for when I was younger, I have realized that most of them were things desired out of ignorance of their reality. For example, when I was little, I wanted freckles, braces, and glasses. I got all three. Lost them by now, but still.

Irony amuses me.

Still trying to decide on the likelihood (or indeed wisdom) of me going to school tomorrow. What else are parents for?

Much love and wishes for health and safety to all,

Julia

Comments

Popular Posts