A gift to give a King

Everyone knows I’m a highly emotional person. I cry at movies, books, music, cute babies. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve been touched by different things, as they take on a new meaning or make sense in a new way.

This year, for the first time, I cried as I listened to “Little Drummer Boy”.

As I listened to the song, the lyrics hit my heart.

I have no gift to bring
That’s fit to give a king
Shall I play for you
On my drum?

I played my drum for Him
I played my best for Him
Then He smiled at me
Me and my drum.

How often do I feel like the Little Drummer Boy? Insignificant next to the wise men. Unimportant next to the shepherds. I see my own emptiness, my unworthiness. I look down in my hands and see nothing I can give, nothing I could bear to give, that would be worthy of the majesty and splendour of the King before me. I look down and all I see is a drum. Not even a gift. But will I dare to play it before my King? Will I muster the courage to take whatever I have, however small or unworthy it may seem, and offer it to him?

The boy in this song took that courage. He took the only thing he had and offered it to the King. He did his best for Him. He played with all his might. And that King smiled at him.

Whatever gifts we have, no matter how small or big, how grand or insignificant, we can offer them up. For I know a King who will smile and accept them as the most precious gift in the world.

Our Christmas gift this year.


Comments

Popular Posts