就職完成 - The Valley's End

I suppose I should make the news official.

In October, I had an interview with AEON, an English teaching company in Japan. They offered me a job. I accepted. Not only that, but the school they found for me is in an area of Tokyo called Shimokitazawa, apparently a very hipster area only a short distance from the centre. And I'm moving there on the 8th of February to start work as an English teacher.

Our God is so faithful.

As the days go by and I think back to all the afternoons I was sitting at the table in my parents' kitchen, praying for a job in Japan, feeling like it would be years before I could go back, wallowing in the depths of despair at my intense longing to return to the people there... I smile. It feels like standing on top of the mountain, turning back, and surveying the valley below that you have just come from. Looking at the dark places and the close trees in murky forests, but from here, being able to see the sunlight glistening green on the ceiling of leaves below. Being able to look back at the rocks you've climbed, the winds in the path you've taken, and smiling because you almost can't believe that you've finally reached the top.

There will be trials and challenges in Japan as well. Many, I'm sure. Moving across the sea to another country and taking up employment there is not a feat undertaken likely. But from here, being able to look out at the vista of mountains and the sun shimmering behind the clouds in radiant colours of pink and gold...

It is beautiful. And it is with thankfulness, eagerness and anticipation that I prepare for my last 7 weeks here.

Comments

Popular Posts