IKEA長久手 ー Japanese IKEA


Last Friday was a national holiday (Culture Day), and so some friends and I did a very culturally Japanese thing and went to IKEA! (I hope my humour came across there.)

IKEA is a place I have always loved going to. My mom and I did all the shopping for my university apartment there. We enjoyed one of our last meals together before I came to Japan having Swedish meatballs there. Many hours have I spent crying and sweating and, finally, rejoicing over some piece of IKEA furniture. Many more hours have I spent looking through their magazines, sighing at the beautiful Scandinavian-inspired interiors.

Recently, an IKEA finally opened up in Aichi prefecture. So a couple friends and I went and made a day out of it! Anticipating crowds, we went early and arrived just after opening time. However, we did not expect to see this when we exited the station:


People were lining up to get inside IKEA. Seriously, it felt like Disneyland... except for an emporium of Swedish interior design goods. We ended up queueing for 40 minutes before we were let in. Thankfully, it was sunny and a very comfortable temperature. We amused ourselves by taking photos and commenting on how calm and polite the Japanese people were lining up.


Once inside, we went straight to grab lunch. We waited in line again, and then got our Swedish meatballs and found a table. In Japan, the meatballs come with edamame beans sprinkled on top. A much-appreciated touch of green.



The rest of our time was spent enjoying the show rooms, taking cheesy pictures, and practising self-restraint in the market downstairs. We ended our day by lining up one last time for some free ice cream (provided for anyone who came by train!) and hot dogs before heading home.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

IKEA caters for businesses now as well. Who knew?


All in all, it was a wonderful day with lovely friends, great food and (mostly) wise shopping choices.

My beautiful friends! Photos used with their kind permission.

This IKEA in Nagakute was so easy to get to by train. It took about an hour door-to-door from my house, and the IKEA is a two minute walk from the station. I can't wait to go back for Christmas decorations in a month!

Have you ever been to IKEA in Japan? Was it different or was it like a small taste of home?

Comments

Charity Lockhart said…
Ha!! Very nice, thanks for sharing your experience.❤️

Popular Posts